Monday, July 19, 2010

The LIVESTRONG Challenge San Jose

Thank you again to everyone who supported my fundraising efforts on behalf of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, and thank you to everyone reading along on my blog. The LIVESTRONG Challenge San Jose event raised $1M to inspire and empower people affected by cancer.

As you know, my friend John created Team Glory Days for the event, and many of you generously contributed to him, Dona, Charlie, Amber, my nephew Terrence, Dale, and me raising $3,177.76 in the fight against cancer.

Originally, I set a goal to ride 100-miles, but questions of distance became moot in the face of the need for family support. Terrence and Dale planned to ride the 20-mile route together, but when a 20-year-old that Terrence had been mentoring suddenly died from heart failure, and Dale's father was diagnosed with prostate cancer, the ride became a lot more personal. Knowing how important it was to make sure Terrence and Dale had good rides, I decided to lend my experience and support to my family on the ride. After all, this is what the ride is all about.

All of us on Team Glory Days have already pledged to ride again next year and raise even more money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. For now, my cycling will have to take a back burner for a bit, the flame on low, not off. Dale and I are still finessing the details, but it is starting to look like we are driving a pick-up truck to Colorado Springs, CO to bring my mother back home to Berkeley. She has lived there for a couple years all alone, and it is time for her to return. I'll hope to get in a few short evening rides once in a while, but not much serious riding for a bit. On the plus side, amongst many other things, Dale and I love to road trip and we’ll bring a Flip Cam and still camera along hopefully expanding the scope of this blog. Stay tuned!

Team picture courtesy of Team Captain John Boegman

No comments:

Post a Comment