Thursday, July 1, 2010

Crow Canyon Rd. the Steep Way

I was on my Crow Canyon 60 mile loop the other day, reliving the old days. Last year I was delighted to be able to return to riding that distance; my rehabilitation phase of life progresses well. However, last year I avoided Reliez Station Rd. and this time it was calling me.

Technically speaking, it is awfully steep.

Many years ago, struggling to clear the spots before my eyes on Hillgrade, a teammate grabbed me by the arm and dragged me over the top. As the spots cleared, there was one that would not go away. I kept blinking and breathing deeply, but one green spot would not clear from my vision. It was hot, I probably had 60 miles on me, and I started to worry a bit.

Then I realized that somebody had spray-painted the “O” on the street sign and I was not in trouble. Pretty funny. After a while.

This time there would be no teammate to help me over Reliez Station. Hillgrade is nothing in comparison. About half a mile long, mapmyride.com indicates sections at 20%. It is awfully steep. But my riding has gone quite well this year and Reliez Station was just calling me. I heeded the call, and while I do not remember it being THAT steep, it was quite doable.

It felt very good to take the steep way home and I’ll be doing that again.
60 Miles, 3,500 vertical feet of climbing, 4:20
http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/18282110/

No comments:

Post a Comment